Monday 5 October 2009

Session 1: blogs and web 2.0

INM348 - Digital Information Technologies and Architectures
 
Our first session on the Digital Information Technologies and Architectures (DITA) module deals specifically with blogs, and touches on the concept of 'Web 2.0'. Blogs are arguably one of the most visible manifestations of this phenomena, even though it's been a full ten years since Blogger, one of the most popular blogging tools, was launched.
[URL: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8286174.stm]

This blog will be my coursework for this module. It’s organised as a series of blog posts, one per session; the posts will usually consist of a short review of the key points of our lecture, backed up with some examples. In addition I have tagged each session’s entry using the blogging tool’s labelling function; the tag I have used is ‘DITA’.

Before starting the blog, I also reviewed some of the leading blogging tools. I took a look at Blogger [URL: http://www.blogger.com/] , WordPress [URL: http://wordpress.org/] and Livejournal [URL: http://www.livejournal.com/], and, although there were some differences in ease of use and functionality offered, they all allowed me to start creating blogposts within minutes. I chose Blogger as it offered the service that, to me anyway, was the easiest to set up and manage. In addition, the functionality offered by most blogging services, that enables me to log in and edit or publish posts from any computer is extremely useful.

Blogging has proved a very flexible and useful tool for creating and managing my coursework on this module. It’s very well-suited to small digestible chunks of information like my session posts – it also allows me to hyperlink out to other information, such as my personal web space, and upload images and screenshots where necessary.

Finally, being able to rework entries after publishing them, has been very useful, as I’ve found it very useful to return to posts - sometimes several times - as I’ve learned more during this module.

Word count for this entry, : 297 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment